Overview of Position
Patient Collections Specialist is responsible for ensuring patient balances/credits on accounts are accurate and appropriately prorated. Also, call patients to inform them of the balance and collect payment.
Job Duties and Expected Performances:
• Identify the root cause of the balance/credit.
• Review encounters via NextGen, reports, and other sources with average productivity of 50 accounts per day. Document notes appropriately in the practice management system. Maintain an acceptable error rate within department policy.
• Performs collection actions.
• Resolve incoming patient calls and excellent customer service skills.
• Tactfulness in dealing with patients and front office regarding accounts in verbal and written communications; while being professional and courteous.
• Identify, verify, and document adjustments according to established policy and procedure.
• Research and prepare credits for refund approval.
• Performs all other duties as assigned by direct report.
• High School Graduate or General Education Degree (GED)
• Associates degree
• One year of patient collection experience
• Experience with Excel and Windows-based programs.
• Experience in performing tasks that require a basic understanding of accounting and math skills.
• + Experience NextGen PM/EHR
• + One year of Optometry and Ophthalmology third-party billing guidelines and expertise.